Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The $40 Dishwasher

I know... I have 4 daughters, 3 of whom are quite capable of washing dishes. The fourth one loves playing with the dishes in the water, but hasn't quite gotten the "wash" part down yet. So why do I want a dishwasher? For the simple fact that once you are used to having one, giving it up can be a little painful. Mine died. We couldn't get the water to drain out of it. (Then we forgot about the water sitting in there, left it closed up for several weeks, opened up the door over the weekend... you know where this is going, don't you?) So, we've been washing by hand which really isn't all that bad. The biggest problem is that I like to have company and throwing all the dishes in the dishwasher means more time spent with family and friends, less time washing dishes.

Since we needed a piece of trim for a project we're working on in the basement, all six of us piled in the van for a trip to Lowes tonight. My dear husband suggested that, while we were there, we should at least look at the dishwashers and see what they had. As soon as we walked in the store I could hear it calling my name. There she was, waiting for me under one of those wonderful, bright yellow signs with the magical word, CLEARANCE! The poor thing was marked as "damaged". We looked her over from top to bottom. Not a mark, scratch or dent anywhere! Just a greatly reduced price tag. Between the reduced price and the generosity of my husband (who donated a gift card he'd been given) my brand new, never been used dishwasher cost about $40.00! You can hear applause from my teenagers, can't you? We pick her up tomorrow.

On another note, the girls and I went swimming at a friend's house this afternoon. On the drive home, Joelle (who is 3) sighed happily in the back set and mused "Wasn't that a stupendous spelling bee competition?" What?! We were at the pool! She's never been to a spelling bee! And where did she pick up the word "stupendous"?

Lord, thanks for the entertainment that a 3 year old provides. Thank you for blessing me with such a wonderful husband and 4 terrific daughters. And thanks for the $40 dishwasher.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4: 6-7

1 comments:

Davene said...

I'm so happy for you that you're getting a new dishwasher! And, wow, for $40? That's incredible! God provides in fun ways. :)

Joelle is hilarious. I don't know how you keep a straight face around her! She's so earnest in what she does and says. Such a smart little lady!